At about 6:00 pm on July 21st
I started having mild contractions. I didn’t think much of it and thought they
were just Braxton Hicks. When Tyler got home from work around 7:00 they were
still coming so I had him time them and they were about 7-8 minutes apart. We
just kept hanging out, played with Jane, ate dinner and thought it was probably
false labor.
I tried to go to bed but no
rest was to be had; I kept having contractions and they were getting closer
together and stronger. At 12:30 am I woke
Tyler up and told him I was still having contractions. We waited for about another hour and they were still coming and getting closer together so at 1:30 Tyler called the hospital and they said that they would admit me. We called our friends, the Winders, and Josh was able to come over to
sleep at our house and said he would take Jane back over to their house in the
morning. Next Tyler called Diana and she was able to book a flight for the next
day.
We got to the hospital about 2:00 am and they put us in a triage room and hooked me up to a monitor while we
waited. There was only one OB on call and she was finishing up a Cesarean. We watched Parks and Rec while we
waited for what felt like forever. I was SO ready for an epidural.
When the OB finally came and
checked me I was already at 7 centimeters. They moved me over to the labor and
delivery room and hooked me up to all of the monitors and IVs and called
anesthesia. I had to wait for the epidural until about 4:00 am. I was a bit
of a mess and so grumpy that it was taking so long!
A third year anesthesia resident
gave me my epidural. He was rushing around trying to get everything ready and
seemed like a basket case; he was in and out and dropping things. I was so
nervous about him doing my epidural but he was a nice guy and ended up doing a
great job. And of course the epidural was amazing; almost instant relief. I
love drugs! So grateful for modern medicine. It was amazing to finally be able
to relax and not be in pain.
An OB resident came in and checked
me and said I was already at a 10 and just about ready to push. They had me
labor down for a little while but were back in before I knew it. Tyler had asked if he could deliver me and they said sure.
Everybody gowned up and it was go time. Tyler had a resident on either side of
him guiding him through and were ready to step in just in case. It only took two
pushes to get her head out. The cord was wrapped around her neck so the
resident stepped in, cut the cord and delivered the rest of her body. Just one
more push and she was out!
Delivery was so easy and enjoyable! I couldn’t
believe what I wonderful experience it was. I felt so present and alert. It was
amazing to be able to watch her come out; especially because they had me stop
pushing once her head was out, so I was able to see her sweet little head; half born.
Such a miracle!
They put her on my stomach as soon
as she was born and she was so perfect! She had lots of fluid in her mouth and
nose so it took her a while to let out a good cry. I was worried about her, but none of the doctors were concerned and kept reassuring me that she was fine. She pinked right up and was beautiful.
I am so humbled and grateful that
Heavenly Father entrusts us with these beautiful spirits. I am so blessed to be
Lucy’s mom. We love her with all of our hearts! Bringing her into this world
was just magical. We love our little angel!
This little sweetie does not like the swaddle. She loves having her arms out and up by her face.
This picture was taken when Lucy was 1 week old. She is such a gorgeous baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment