Uros
The last two weeks we were in Peru school was canceled because of the swine flu so Tyler and I had the opportunity to travel to Lake Titicaca with the other volunteers. Our first stop was visiting Uros, a group of floating islands on the lake.
The Peruvians built these floating islands out of totara reeds which grow in the lake. The people moved out to these islands to escape the conquistadors in the 16 and 17 hundreds and people are still living there today.
Now when I say these islands were built out of reeds, I mean everything. The island itself, the houses, the beds, the boats and even their awesome watch towers. It was incredible. This man showed us what the islands look like underneath the water. Totara reed mixed with mud and more totara reeds on top.
Inside one of the houses
Kitchen
The awesome watch towers.
The edge of the island. Careful; don't fall off!
The core of their diet? You guessed it...fish.
Keeping ourselves entertained on the 2 1/2 hour boat ride.
Look Jack I'm flying!
No comment
Isla Taquile
After Uros we took a boat 2 1/2 hours to Isla Taquila. If I had to describe this place in one word it would be: breathtaking. It was absolutely gorgeous! If it wasn't a remote island inhabited by an ancient people with a tribal government I would want to live there. 





We thought the island inhabitants were in costume for the Dia de Independencia but we found out this is the native dress they wear everyday. Western society hasn't impacted these natives as of yet and they still follow the ancient way of living.
Keeping ourselves entertained on the 2 1/2 hour boat ride.
Isla Taquile
No comments:
Post a Comment